JOB DESCRIPTION 1
Position: Housing Navigator/Case Manager
Classification: ¾ Time
Reports To: Young Adult Services Director
Compensation: Based on experience
The Housing Navigator/Case Manager conducts assessments, determines eligibility, develops individualized case plans, links families with community-based housing and service resources, and provides case management services in conjunction with community partners.
Christopher Youth Center provides Rapid Rehousing services to homeless individuals and families with a focus on youth. The Christopher Youth Center Program serves youth and families with children that are homeless or at imminent risk of homelessness. The YAC (Youth Access Center) is designed to provide a centralized point of access for youth and families in need of crisis services, shelter placement, transitional housing, rapid re-housing/permanent housing placement, and linkages with schools, employment, physical and mental health care, and other supportive services.
Responsibilities: The following reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Conduct comprehensive assessments of potential participants
- Develop Individualized Housing and Service Plans (IHSP) for each participant using the comprehensive assessment
- Collect all necessary documentation needed to support assistance
- Find temporary housing opportunities for eligible participants and identify permanent housing options for program participants
- Collaboratively work with other housing specialists to find permanent housing options for youth
- Interface with landlords whenever necessary to mitigate issues or advocate for youth
- Provide case management services including, but not limited to: providing appropriate resources, tools, assist participants in achieving their case plan goals; making referrals for services; following up to ensure that the referrals were completed and tracking and documenting participant progress
- Collaborate with other departments and agency programs to maximize participant outcomes, program goals, and agency mission
- Collaborate and communicate closely with formal partner agencies for the program (Workforce Centers, family shelters, )
- Document and maintain up-to-date information on services provided to participants in the Homeless Management Information System (HMIS) and hard copy case records
- Prepare and submit weekly program update
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
- Minimum of 1 year of professional experience in the human services field, two years of experience serving homeless families is preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in social work or related field
- Experience working with clients in crisis
- Strong ability to effectively resolve and cope with the immediate crisis
- Strong communication skills, speaking, listening, and writing clearly and thoroughly
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and database software used to track service delivery
HMIS and advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel is preferred
- Knowledge of community resources available in various neighborhoods
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong ability to represent the interests of the agency, interact effectively with a diverse group, build successful collaborative relationships with program participants, other Christopher Youth Center staff, and community partners
- Employment eligibility verification
- Valid driver’s license and auto insurance
- Reliable transportation
- Successful completion of background screening
Resumes can be emailed to email@example.com.
Job Description 2
Safe Place/Outreach Worker
The Safe Place/Outreach Worker will work with the community to provide services for unsheltered youth in need of assistance. A key area of focus is to connect with young people who are facing significant barriers in their lives. This role requires significant relationship building/engaging skills, the ability to meet young people where they are, and to support them to identify goals in an effort to make positive changes in their lives. This position also requires a dynamic individual with significant skills in the areas of advocacy, crisis intervention, and conflict resolution. This position is also responsible for providing support and linkages to appropriate programs and services as required in addition to increasing the community of awareness of Christopher Youth Center Programs and Services.
Scope of Position: Responsible for providing outreach, youth engagement, and drop-in services to meet the needs of young people (ages 11-17) who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.
Accountabilities: This position reports to the Adolescent Services Director.
Provide Intensive Support/Outreach Services
- Build rapport with participants
- Respond to youth through the internet who need access to agency services
- Recruit agency volunteers, both youth and adults
- Monitor the agency’s social media accounts
- Connect young people to community resources
- Work collaboratively with community agencies
- Advocate for all young people
Individual Support Planning
- Complete all daily reports
- Collaborate and consult regarding strategies in supporting young people to achieve their goals
Crisis Intervention/Prevention including
- Identifying potential crisis/implementing support and safety plans
- Responding to crisis situations as they arise
- Report all crisis to the Division Director in a timely manner
- Participate in Outcome Evaluations as needed
- Monitor Safe Place sites to provide updated information via telephone and internet
- Market the agency through community and school presentations for youth populations
- Coordinate and Facilitate the Youth Voices of Change Project
- Document all site visits, amount of materials given, who was contacted during the site visit
- Complete monthly Safe Place Reports
- Assist with PR/Marketing activities as needed
- All other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
Direct Service Delivery
The first point of contact for many youth living on the street or in need of support
- Staff work with youth to help them identify the steps to achieve their goals and guide them through the process of getting connected to the appropriate services
- Ensures appropriate monitoring of young people accessing support through the drop-in program
- Staff focus on meeting young people “where they are” in a relaxed, welcoming environment
- Responsive to youth needs, flexible, creative and intuitive with highly developed interpersonal skills
- Responsible for identifying resource materials and opportunities for the drop-in program
- Responsible for tracking program statistics
- Ensures that young people are aware of and understand the expectation/standards of the Safe Place Program
- Participates jointly in program delivery with volunteers/students
- Ensures the maintenance of supplies used for Outreach Programs including the basic needs portion of the program which focuses on meeting the needs of youth who are living on the streets or have recently left their home, providing food, toiletries, and clothing to young people in
- Staff also help youth connect to financial support by helping them obtain proper identification, fill out the proper forms.
- Assists youth in obtaining information, or making referrals, concerning choices or goals they identify
Qualifications and experience
- Preference will be given to candidates with 3 years experience and degree from a recognized post-secondary program
- Commitment to the philosophy of youth empowerment is a requirement
- Extensive knowledge of youth-related issues and resources including housing, education/employment, mental health/addictions, trauma, criminal justice system.
This is a part-time permanent position that requires a combination of day, evening and weekend work depending on the activities of the community.
Resumes can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.